Sunday 18 January 2015

Sitting in my hairdressers...

...listening to the frighteningly perky Ann tell me about her time backpacking around Thailand and Australia and Fiji, it made me wonder if I'm twenty years too old to be yomping off for a round-the-world trip. Straight off, it should be admitted that my backpack -much loved and now much-mildewed - will be staying in the loft, and my six weeks whizzing around the world will not include much time in hostels or dorm rooms. (Ok then, none).

But who says skipping off around the world should be the preserve of footloose and fancy free twentysomethings?  If you can get a sabbatical and you've got the funds, can you really get round the world in six weeks?  More to the point, if you're fortysomething and frazzled before you start, will the fifth airport see you snoozing gently into an overpriced gin and tonic, wishing you were on the sofa with Downton?  Is the grand old age of 44 just too old to go hotfooting it round the planet at high speed?

Well, the next six weeks will answer those questions, and more besides I suspect.  If I'm  not in a coma by seven pm every evening, I'll try and put some thoughts, recommendations, notes and general ramblings on this blog. I'm quite aware that the world needs another travel blog as much as ITV needs another Simon Cowell talent search, so I'm hoping this will be useful rather than whimsical, although I can't promise.  If I can work out which buttons to press there might even be photos too.

Right now, with three continents, 42 days and (at the last count) fifteen hotels, I need to get packing...

No comments:

Post a Comment